The Brill Building Songwriters - Barry/Greenwich & Mann/Weill
Episode date - November 17, 2006
This is the second hour dedicated to the songwriting couples of New York’s Brill Building.
Due to the massive number of hits, the diversity, and the impact of their songs, we never could have accurately conveyed the music of Goffin/King, Barry/Greenwich, and Mann/Weill in one hour, so we split this episode into two unequal parts.
The first hour was dedicated exclusively to the songwriting prowess of Goffin/King (and sometimes Carole King without Gerry Goffin). That leaves us with one hour to play some of the best material from the remaining two songwriting couples associated with the Brill Building, and to say the least, it’s a tight fit.
Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich were phenomenally influential songwriters, particularly with the ‘girl group’ sound, while the team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill was extraordinarily diverse, providing songs in a multitude of styles that often matched the artists better than their own material! It’s a story where the music does most of the talking, so let’s get to it.
Here’s a list of songs covered in today’s program.
1) Walking in the Rain – The Ronettes
2) On Broadway – The Drifters
3) You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling – The Righteous Brothers
4) We Gotta Get Out of This Place – The Animals
5) Kicks – Paul Revere & the Raiders
6) Shades of Gray – The Monkees
7) Uptown – The Crystals
8) Chapel of Love – The Ronettes
9) Chapel of Love – The Dixie Cups
10) Be My Baby – The Ronettes
11) Baby I Love You – The Ronettes
12) Da Doo Ron Ron – The Crystals
13) Then He Kissed Me – The Crystals
14) I Can Hear Music – The Ronettes
15) Do Wah Diddy Diddy – Manfred Mann
16) Leader of the Pack – The Shangri-Las
17) Hanky Panky – Tommy James & the Shondell
18) Sugar Sugar – The Archies
19) Sugar Sugar – Wilson Pickett
20) Girl You’ll Be a Woman Soon – Neil Diamond