Episode date - August 7, 2015
The past few shows focused on the profound changes that affected the Stax label, but the musical evidence of change was a bit subtler than the reality.
This show captures the point where the changes become fully evident in the music being released. At this point, Stax is no longer the singular representative of Memphis soul. Even its own products now reflect influences from Muscle Shoals, Texas, Detroit, and even Los Angeles. The biggest change came with Isaac Hayes’ album, “Hot Buttered Soul,” and that album plays a predominant role in this specific program.
Featured tracks include;
1) By the Time I Get to Phoenix (full length) – Isaac Hayes
2) Walk on By – Isaac Hayes
3) Tupelo – Steve Cropper, Albert King & Pops Staples
4) Water – Steve Cropper, Albert King & Pops Staples
5) You’re Driving Me To the Arms of a Stranger – Mavis Staples
6) When Will We Be Paid – The Staple Singers
7) Your Love Is Strange – The Dramatics
8) Love Bones – Johnny Taylor
Channel 145 - Stax
- 1 of 3