Episode date - September 18, 2015
This show marks the end of the second era for Stax Records, namely, their association with outside ownership.
Deutsche Grammophon experienced significant financial success with Stax, and had decided to intervene to ‘streamline’ their operation to make it even more profitable. Stax, on the other hand, resented the outside interference, and due to their success, found themselves in the position to buy themelves out of their corporate obligations. For the first time since their inception, Stax Records was now a fully independent record label.
Featured tracks include;
1) Losing Boy – Eddie Giles
2) Respect Yourself – The Staple Singers
3) I’ll Kill a Brick about My Man – Hot Sauce
4) Theme from ‘Shaft’ – Isaac Hayes
5) Do the Funky Penguin – Rufus Thomas
6) You’ve Got a Cushion to Fall On – Carla Thomas
7) Get Up and Get Down – The Dramatics
8) Son of Shaft – The Bar-Kays
9) Doncha Mess with My Money, My Honey or My Woman – L.V. Johnson
10) I Can Smell that Funky Music – Eric Mercury
11) That’s What Love Will Make You Do – Little Milton
12) Standing in for Jody – Johnnie Taylor