The Beatles: Pre-Peppers
Episode date - June 22, 2012
With nobody watching the clock, the Beatles set out completely reinvent themselves, and they did it unabashed joy and unalloyed creativity.
The rulebook was tossed out of the window, and when they previously would start and finish a recording in the same day, now they were willing to take weeks. Ideas were pursued even when the ‘endgame’ was still thoroughly unclear, which allowed ideas to develop ‘in process’. It may not have been efficient, but the result was so brilliant that it completely altered the world’s perception of what constituted a record album, or even a hit recording. It was a brand new day, and the Beatles were pointing to the sunrise.
This is the story of how parts of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” came to pass.
Tracks featured include:
1) A Day in the Life (in process)
2) Good Morning, Good Morning (in process)
3) Only a Northern Song (in process)
4) Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite (Takes 1 and 2)
5) Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite (Take 7)
6) Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (in process)
7) Within You Without You (instrumental)
8) Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise) (alternate)